Recently in the Stonefire® test kitchen we were inspired by one of Mexico’s most celebrated street foods – sweet, salty, tangy, creamy and crunchy Mexican Street Corn!
Traditionally the dish is made with corn boiled in a stock with plenty of lime and Mexican spices before being grilled and topped with queso fresco, mayonnaise and chili powder.
This recipe is so flavorful and easy to recreate at home. No need to worry about finding fresh corn, canned corn can be easily substituted for fresh cobs. Using Stonefire® Artisan Flatbread we were able to whip up a deliciously savory and sweet flatbread appetizer or meal.
For best results, make sure to set aside your ingredients before you begin preparing the corn. This will give the ingredients a few minutes to come to room temperature and provide a better balance when applied to the warm flatbread.
Mexican Street Corn Flatbread
Made straight from the pantry, the inspiration for this recipe comes from the market vendors of Mexico. This easy and crowd-pleasing snack is packed with savory, sweet, and creamy flavors on top of soft and crunchy Stonefire® Artisan Flatbread.
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, fresh
- 1 can of Corn
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 cup Mayo
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Stonefire® Artisan Flatbread
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese (or crumbled feta)
- 1 cup Sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- Preheat a stove top pan to medium-high.
- Drain corn from the can, coat with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Cook corn until golden brown and tender, 5-7 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream, mayo, cilantro, ¼ cup cotija, a pinch of salt and pepper, and juice of half a lime. Stir until evenly combined.
- Fire up grill OR heat oven to 415 degrees. Brush top of flatbread with the remainder of the vegetable oil. Place on the hot grill or oven, oil side down, and cook on each side until golden brown and crispy, about 10 to 15 minutes on the grill or about 6 minutes in the oven.
- Transfer flatbread onto a baking sheet. Spread liberally with the sauce and then cover the top completely with grilled corn kernels. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cotija cheese, drizzle with a bit more leftover sauce and garnish with cilantro. Cut and serve immediately. Enjoy!