Campfire Butter Chicken
20 min Prep Time
20 min Cook Time
Aromatic spices like turmeric, cumin and fresh grated ginger lend rich deep flavor to this campfire recipe. Serving this dish with Stonefire® is a simple way to bring something delicious to your table. Transform a quick and simple meal into something special by tearing apart a few warm pieces of Stonefire® Naan to enjoy the perfect scoop.
To purchase the Stonefire® product(s) used in this recipe,
please choose one of the following options:
- Stonefire® Naan
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ Tbsp. turmeric
- 2 5.3oz containers full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- ½-1 tsp chili powder
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 can coconut cream
- Salt and pepper to taste.
At Home Prep:
- Add the marinade ingredients into a bowl with the chicken and mix until everything is well combined. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Grate the garlic and ginger and store them in an airtight container (or silicone baggie) in the fridge.
- Chop the red pepper, onion, and jalapeño and store them in an airtight container (or silicone baggie) in the fridge.
- The next day, precook the chicken by searing both sides on a piping hot grill. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken all the way through because the chicken will finish cooking at camp.
- Allow the chicken to completely cool before storing it in a freezer bag, in the freezer.
At Camp Cooking:
- Start off by building a fire.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on a grill grate over the fire then add 1-2 tablespoons of ghee. Once the ghee is melted, add the pre-chopped red pepper, onion, jalapeño and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sweat the vegetables, stirring frequently until they begin to soften.
- When the vegetables are soft, add in the pre-grated ginger and garlic. Stir the ingredients for roughly 30 seconds, then add the pre-cooked chicken, followed by the can of diced tomatoes. Simmer the ingredients until the chicken is cooked through which will take maybe 10-20 minutes, depending on how hot your fire is.
- The final step is to add a glob of coconut cream. After each glob taste the dish until you reach the sweetness you desire. During this time toast the Naan over the grill grate.
- Once the Campfire Butter Chicken is finished cooking top with cilantro.
- Scoop up the Butter chicken straight form the cast iron with your Stonefire Naan for less cleanup after!