Aromatic spices like turmeric, cumin and fresh grated ginger lend rich deep flavor to this campfire recipe. Serving this dish with Stonefire® is a simple way to bring something delicious to your table. Transform a quick and simple meal into something special by tearing apart a few warm pieces of Stonefire® Naan to enjoy the perfect scoop.
- Stonefire® Naan
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1½ Tbsp. turmeric
- 2 5.3oz containers full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- ½-1 tsp chili powder
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp. Ghee
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 can coconut cream
- Salt and pepper to taste.
At Home Prep:
- Add the marinade ingredients into a bowl with the chicken and mix until everything is well combined. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Grate the garlic and ginger and store them in an airtight container (or silicone baggie) in the fridge.
- Chop the red pepper, onion, and jalapeño and store them in an airtight container (or silicone baggie) in the fridge.
- The next day, precook the chicken by searing both sides on a piping hot grill. Don’t worry about cooking the chicken all the way through because the chicken will finish cooking at camp.
- Allow the chicken to completely cool before storing it in a freezer bag, in the freezer.
At Camp Cooking:
- Start off by building a fire.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet on a grill grate over the fire then add 1-2 tablespoons of ghee. Once the ghee is melted, add the pre-chopped red pepper, onion, jalapeño and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sweat the vegetables, stirring frequently until they begin to soften.
- When the vegetables are soft, add in the pre-grated ginger and garlic. Stir the ingredients for roughly 30 seconds, then add the pre-cooked chicken, followed by the can of diced tomatoes. Simmer the ingredients until the chicken is cooked through which will take maybe 10-20 minutes, depending on how hot your fire is.
- The final step is to add a glob of coconut cream. After each glob taste the dish until you reach the sweetness you desire. During this time toast the Naan over the grill grate.
- Once the Campfire Butter Chicken is finished cooking top with cilantro.
- Scoop up the Butter chicken straight form the cast iron with your Stonefire Naan for less cleanup after!