Butter Chicken with Whole Grain Naan
10 min Prep Time
55 min Cook Time
Butter chicken is a flavorful dish created in the 1950s in Delhi, India. Aromatic spices like turmeric, cumin and fresh grated ginger lend rich deep flavor to this recipe. Serving this dish with Stonefire® Whole Grain naan is a simple way to bring something wholesome to your table. Made with stone-ground whole grain flour and baked in our patented tandoor tunnel oven, Whole Grain Naan is the perfect complement to this traditional dinner idea.
To purchase the Stonefire® product(s) used in this recipe,
please choose one of the following options:
- 1 package Stonefire® Whole Grain Naan
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup butter
- 1 onion, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Lemon juice to taste
- Cilantro to garnish
- Combine the chicken, greek yogurt, lemon juice, and spices in a bowl. Marinate overnight.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in onion and cook slowly until the onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and its marinade to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil – then lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and tomato paste and continue to simmer until the chicken has cooked through, about 15 minutes, and the sauce is thick.
- Taste, adjust seasoning as needed, add lemon juice for a bit of acid.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve alongside Stonefire® Naan.