10 min Prep Time
8 hr Cook Time
There’s nothing quite like Beef Stew. It’s easily a dinnertime favorite, especially on cold nights at the cottage. The definition of comfort food, our recipe yields a rich flavor from incredibly tender chunks of beef and hearty vegetables.
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs boneless bottom round roast, cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 oz Guinness
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 – 1/2 lb baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh sage, minced
- 2 Tbsp beef base
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 – 2 Tbsp horseradish
- 1 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- Season bottom round beef cubes with 2 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp black pepper. Brown beef in a large skillet with vegetable oil over MED-HIGH heat for about 1-2 minutes per side. Then add beef to slow cooker.
- Pour Guinness and beef broth into the hot pan used to brown your beef and stir to soak up the beef flavor from browning. Let this sit for a few minutes while you add other ingredients to your slow cooker in the next step.
- Add carrots, parsnips, potatoes, onion, garlic, sage, beef base and tomato paste to slow cooker with your browned beef. Pour the beer/broth mixture from the skillet into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 – 7 1/2 hours.
- Mix together butter and flour to form a paste. Add horseradish and butter/flour paste to the slow cooker, stirring well. Cover and continue cooking for another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with a side of Stonefire® Naan!